The Northern Theatre Organ Trust
The Theatre Organ, opened on the 4th January 1970, is a three manual instrument with 187 stop keys to control its resources. Basically a Compton, it contains over 1000 pipes in thirteen units – ten being Compton and three being Christie – which are housed in a chamber beneath the stage. Also included are the tonal traps, effects, etc. excepting the unenclosed master xylophone and piano. Wind pressures of 10” to 15” are supplied by a five stage Discus blower driven by a 10 h.p. motor. The organ was installed by and is also owned by the NORTHERN THEATRE ORGAN TRUST. The cost of the organ and installation was met entirely by donations from over 500 people and financial support is still welcomed to assist with the expense of tuning, maintenance and improvements.